1.2 Update to UEB
Learn what you need to know to transcribe literary materials in Unified English Braille (UEB) if you already hold CNIB/BLC (formerly Canadian Braille Authority) certification in Braille Transcription or Grade Two Braille. This free course will primarily be of interest to transcribers, proofreaders and teachers of braille reading to children and adults.
The Rules of Unified English Braille (The Rule Book) available as a print pdf file or as a braille file from the ICEB website: www.iceb.org/ueb.html.
- a self-directed course;
- help available;
- covers eleven topics with fifteen practice exercises, each of which is less than one braille page in length;
- answers included;
- available for download in print (41 pages) or braille (55 pages, 40 cells per line, 25 lines per page).
Course Fee: None. Upon completion of the course, candidates may apply to obtain a test to update their CNIB/BLC certification by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Test Fee: none for those who hold Canadian certification in literary braille (Transcription or Grade Two Braille Competency) registration is required with proof of certification
Those who hold non-Canadian certification in literary braille may be eligible to request the CNIB UEB Update Test from email@example.com.
Test Fee: $50
Prerequisites: CNIB/BLC (Braille Literacy Canada) certification in Braille Transcription or Grade Two Braille.
CNIB offers braille courses designed for self-study at the students own pace.
How the courses work
- Courses are conducted via correspondence
- Students work at their own pace
- There are recommended completion time for each course exceptions due to extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Course material in print or braille is provided in hardcopy or provided via download where indicated.
- The course material is mailed out once payment has been accepted.
- Please indicate if your require the material in regular print, braille or large print
- Instructors are assigned for most courses as indicated and are available for consultation via email.
- Braille assignments are completed using Perky Duck (a free download braille program with six-key entry) or a manual brailler.
- Assignments are sent electronically to Brailleroom@cnib.ca or hardcopies are mailed to the Braille Room, CNIB, 1929 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4G 3E8
- Errors must be corrected before the next lesson’s assignments will be accepted.
How to enroll
- Students may enroll in a course at any time of the year
- Registration and payment is required for enrollment, where applicable
- Please include your CNIB client number for the discount
- Payment can be made with any major credit card, debit or Money Order
- *Course fees are non-refundable unless written notice of withdrawal is received within 30 days of enrollment. A refund will be issued minus a $30 administration fee and an additional charge for the course material, unless returned opened.
- Email Braille.Certification@cnib.ca to submit proof of certification, where required
- Complete enrollment form
Certification and Tests
- Passing grade on tests is 90
- Test are marked using the demerit marking system out of 100
- Certification is based on test results
- Prerequisite to writing a test is that all assignments have been completed and corrected
- The test is conducted when the Instructor determines the candidate is ready to take the test