Unified English Braille (UEB) - Manual ONLY.
1.1 TranscriptionThis intensive course leads to certification in UEB qualifying a person to transcribe English print materials into contracted braille. It is primarily of interest to would-be transcribers and proofreaders, and teachers of braille reading to children and adults.
- From Print to Braille with UEB instruction manual provided in hardcopy
- The Rules of Unified English Braille (The Rule Book) available as a print pdf file or as a braille file from the ICEB website: www.iceb.org/ueb.html.
- 22-lesson correspondence course;
- Each lesson includes transcription and reading exercises to be submitted for marking;
- 10-15 hours required to complete a lesson;
- Work with an instructor;
- Assignments should be submitted regularly to complete the course in the allotted time;
- Course should be completed within 12 months (extensions may be granted for extenuating circumstances
CNIB offers braille courses designed for self-study at the students own pace.
How the courses work
- Courses are conducted via correspondence
- Students work at their own pace
- There are recommended completion time for each course exceptions due to extenuating circumstances may be considered
- Course material in print or braille is provided in hardcopy or provided via download where indicated.
- The course material is mailed out once payment has been accepted.
- Please indicate if your require the material in regular print, braille or large print
- Instructors are assigned for most courses as indicated and are available for consultation via email.
- Braille assignments are completed using Perky Duck (a free download braille program with six-key entry) or a manual brailler.
- Assignments are sent electronically to Brailleroom@cnib.ca or hardcopies are mailed to the Braille Room, CNIB, 1929 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M4G 3E8
- Errors must be corrected before the next lesson’s assignments will be accepted.
How to enroll
- Students may enroll in a course at any time of the year
- Registration and payment is required for enrollment, where applicable
- Please include your CNIB client number for the discount
- Payment can be made with any major credit card, debit or Money Order
- *Course fees are non-refundable unless written notice of withdrawal is received within 30 days of enrollment. A refund will be issued minus a $30 administration fee and an additional charge for the course material, unless returned opened.
- Email Braille.Certification@cnib.ca to submit proof of certification, where required
- Complete enrollment form
Certification and Tests
- Passing grade on tests is 90
- Test are marked using the demerit marking system out of 100
- Certification is based on test results
- Prerequisite to writing a test is that all assignments have been completed and corrected
- The test is conducted when the Instructor determines the candidate is ready to take the test.